Tragic monoxide death reinforces DIY dangers

Published:  11 June, 2020

 The potential dangers inherent in some DIY car repairs were laid bare recently at an inquest into the death of an aspiring amateur mechanic who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in his own car.

An inquest into the death of 22-year old Dillon Denton was held at Hull Coroners Court. It heard he was found dead in his Volkswagen Golf in the car park of Sainsbury's and Homebase in Hessle in the East Riding of Yorkshire. He had a fatal level of carbon monoxide in his bloodstream at the time of his death.

He had been found lying in the driver's seat of his VW Golf in the car park of Sainsbury's and Homebase in Hessle  on 5 March 5 2019. He was discovered by emergency responders, still in the car with one of the windows smashed. His family and friends had tried to get into the car to help him. He was declared dead at the scene. An exhaust repair kit was also found in the back seat of the car.

The inquest heard Dillon was very interested in cars and car modifying, and took good care of his vehicle.

Dillon died "by unforeseen carbon monoxide inhalation on March 5, 2019,” said the Coroner in the narrative verdict, “while sleeping in his vehicle which was parked in the car park at Homebase in Sainsbury Way, Hessle".

Speaking to Hull Live last year, Dillon’s sister Roxann said her brother had been planning to sell the vehicle the day he died, and that he “dreamed one day of having his own garage.”

She added: “He was always doing something with his car. He would thrive off his cars and driving them. As soon as he got paid he spent it all on doing a car up and selling it on for more value."

Related Articles


Search

Sign Up

For the latest news and updates from Aftermarket Magazine.


Poll

Where should the next Automechanika show be held?



Facebook


©DFA Media 1999-2020
Terms and Conditions